Valve introduced several charts of the most successful games in 2018 on Steam, dividing them into the new products of the year showing the total range of the store.
In the main standings, the company has divided game releases into four categories: platinum, gold, silver, and bronze. It is impossible to say how much approximately the games have earned in each of them, however, the “platinum” ones have sold over a million copies.
Inside each category, the games are arranged randomly. It is worth noting that among the most successful projects, in 2018 there were only three new items (one from Capcom and two from Ubisoft) and three shareware projects.
- Monster Hunter: World (2018);
- Far Cry 5 (2018);
- Assassin’s Creed Odyssey (2018);
- The Elder Scrolls Online (2014);
- Warframe (2013);
- Rainbow Six Siege (2015);
- Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (2012);
- Dota 2 (2013);
- Rocket League (2015);
- PUBG (2017);
- Sid Meier’s Civilization VI (2016);
- Grand Theft Auto V (2015 on the PC).
In the “gold” category just four releases came from last year, including the previous Assassin’s Creed.
- Path of Exile (2013);
- Stellaris (2016);
- Jurassic World: Evolution (2018);
- Total War: Warhammer II (2017);
- Divinity: Original Sin II (2017);
- “The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt” (2015);
- Assassin’s Creed Origins (2017);
- ARK: Survival Evolved (2017);
- Dead by Daylight (2016);
- Cities Skylines (2015);
- Kingdom Come: Deliverance (2018).
In the “silver” category the following notable releases can be noted: Warhammer: Vermintide 2, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, No Man’s Sky, Subnautica, Frostpunk and Fallout 4. In the “bronze”: Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom, RimWorld, Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, Artifact and Soul Calibur VI.
You can see the most popular releases on a separate Valve page, but for the most part, these are simply the main releases of a certain period – there are no surprises there.