http://vancouvergamingguild.com
October 21, 2014, 11:20:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Blogs Forum Help Rules Search Calendar Tags Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Belegarth Medieval Combat Society  (Read 3698 times)
matthias.belegarth
Initiate

Games: Belegarth (LARP)
GM or Player?: GM
VGG Membership: Yes

Awards
« on: April 18, 2011, 10:26:23 PM »

Goooood evening everybody!
I am really excited to say that my girlfriend and are in the process of starting up a realm with Belegarth just outside of Vancouver (New Westminster to be precise). Belegarth is mostly Boffer style fighting, it's been around since the 70's so it has a nice international presence with many big battles to go to every year. We are looking to hold practices every Sunday, and possibly even a few on week nights as well. We are still in the very early stages (Weapon building and recruiting) so if anyone is interested in coming out while its still nice and new please please please feel free to send me a pm on here or e-mail us at new.westminster.belegarth@gmail.com. We're pretty laid back, but for those who want to do more intense roleplaying I am all for it. If you want to come out for some weapon making let us know and we can schedule a meet up! I Went down a few years ago to meet the belegarth realm in Bellingham and it was just crazy fun so I hope some of you will come give it a try, or pass the info on to some of your friends who you think might enjoy it.
Check out the sites (Apologies for how bad mine is, I just whipped it together quickly tonight so I'd have some sort of web presence)

www.belegarth.ca
www.belegarth.net
http://sites.google.com/site/newwestminsterbelegarth/

We look forward to hearing from you!

redzimmer
Tevera
Warrior

Awards
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 08:10:28 AM »

I know most LARP won't permit boffers from Calimacil, are there any brands from www.latex-weaponry.com that have your organization's seal of approval?

The US buck is getting lower each day, so it's a good idea for me to buy soon.

Oh yes, introductions. My name's Patrick, my 17 yo son and I are keen to join in the wonderful world of LARPing this summer.

I brought a cleric...
matthias.belegarth
Initiate

Games: Belegarth (LARP)

Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 11:12:19 AM »

Belegarth does not allow any of the latex weapons, as we hit too hard for what they are intended. We are pretty full contact. It is quite cheap to build weapons and I am more than happy to teach people how to 'foam-smith'. I'm not crazy experienced but I know how to make a decent sword and I have a good supply for fiberglass cores, even though PVC pipe also works fine. If you're not into making your own weapons (But believe me, it is lots of fun to make them, you really get into it) I'd be more than happy to make a few for you if you supply the materials and give me some specs as to what you are looking for.
Check out the belegarth.net and belegarth.ca websites and look on the forums or under the how-to sections there are lots of really in depth guides.
You can get set up with a few swords and daggers for around 20-30 bucks depending on what stuff you might already have kicking around.
Akroth
Initiate

Games: Belegarth
GM or Player?: Player
VGG Membership: No

Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 10:42:27 AM »

Hey!

I'm with Thunder Guard, the realm in Thunder Bay, Ontario.

Nice to hear that another Canadian Realm is getting started. The sport is still fairly new to Canada and it's great to see it growing so quickly.

Belegarth is really much more of a combat sport than a LARP. At most large-scale events, there is no roleplaying. On the other hand, the rules are intentionally left a bit flexible in the Book Of War, so there's no reason why you couldn't incorporate more roleplay elements into your local events or practices if it interests you. In any case, good luck with whatever route you take!

As for weapons, the primary commercial supplier of Belegarth weapons is Edhellen/Forged Foam (http://www.edhellen.com). If you look in their "Full Contact Weapons" portion, most of their one-handed weapons as well as their shields are Belegarth legal. Most of their two handers are as well, but a few of their weapons don't meet the Book of War restrictions (Specifically, their quarterstaffs do not meet restrictions, and their spears and glaives may not)

Many people choose to build their own weapons. This is more cost-effective than buying commercial weapons, but the result is a weapon that won't always be as durable and you need to be careful that you're meeting all the safety restrictions in the Book of War.

Anyway, good luck!

Feel free to get in touch with us if you're looking for any further info:

www.thunderguard.ca
info@thunderguard.ca
Tags: new westminster  Vancouver  burnaby  Tri-cities  Boffer  Sword  larp 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: